Monday, January 10, 2011

Welcome to the Library

Plebicolar. This is a word I learned yesterday from a website called Save the Words. The website has an ingenious mission. I wish I had thought of it!  The site works to save old fashioned words that are no longer in common dictionaries, and lets membered users adopt a word that they must promise to use as much as possible in every day conversation.You should really check it out. Seriously. It's awesome. But that's besides the point. 


Back to plebicolar. If you haven't already figured out from the blog's subtitle, it means "appealing to the common people." I chose this word for use in my blog because that is exactly what I want it to do; I want to make something that is appealing to all audiences (or at least most of them. I can't make any promises). And in that case, you probably have questions.


What is the Plebicolar Library?
A very good question, my friend. It's basically a journal of books I've read, liked, disliked, recommended, etc. In each post I will write a review of a different book, starting with my favorites and eventually ranging from books we've had to read for school to quirky volumes I pulled off of dusty shelves. I have a very open mind about genres and will read just about anything I can get my hands on, my limited free time hopefully allowing me to finish them. I'm also pretty lenient with my praise, so most reviews will be good with possibly a few things I didn't like here and there. Just FYI, I don't like those reviews that go into a three paragraph summary of the story before actually doing their job, which is reviewing. You might get a sense of what's going on from my posts, but if you really want to know what the book is about, look it up. Oh! and each post will include the first and last sentence of the book, just for fun. :)


What if I disagree?
Wonderful! I don't expect everyone to like the same things I do. By all means, start a discussion! Just please, be respectful. Look at those youtube comments that get deleted all the time, and you'll know what NOT to do. Thank you!


What else does the Library have?
Well, once it gets up and running, and that might take a little while due to my crazy schedule, I will put up links to my favorite authors' websites, as well as other cool links to pages about reading and writing. If I happen to read your blog and find it amazing, I will also post it in my blog roll. Not only will there be new places for you to explore, but I'll also have polls, so keep your eyes out for those and cast your vote!


Well, that's all I can write at the moment, but keep watching for new posts; I will be writing my first review soon!











No comments:

Post a Comment